30 May 2012

Pretend This Is a Hilarious Pun About Candy

Hey, folks, guess what? I'm going to stop talking about Cry-Baby for a whole, like, seventeen seconds...because I finished my Licorice dress for Sew Colette!

Lenora's First Law of Picture-Taking: the carpet never seems especially dirty/cluttered until you photograph yourself standing on it.

I'm pretty proud of how this dress came together; I really managed to nail the fit, I think. Especially in the far right photo there (the side view)--between my boobs and my belly and my super (worryingly?) curvy spine, I am super three-dimensional in the abdomen, and sometimes I have a ton of trouble with fitting. Like, things will look fine head-on, but at any other angle there gets to be a "ye Gods" factor...does this happen to anyone else?

Part of the reason the fit was great was that I took the time to make a muslin--which was of course worth it either way, but then I also made some of that time back by taking the shortcut of making my lining out of my muslin! I was considering playing it off like I premeditated this as an efficiency measure but in fact I just sort of...decided my muslin was close enough to my final fit and I was too lazy to cut and sew up another lining? The lining I had put aside would have been a poppier color contrast, but the teal coordinates okay, and why not conserve the fabric (and therefore the $7 or whatever it cost) for the next one?


My style alterations in the end were as follows: I shortened (and neglected to gather) the sleeves, used three contrasting fabrics for the skirt, bodice and details, made the tie belt a sewn-on, faux-button belt, and did an exposed zipper. I suppose technically I altered the skirt length too, but that was really an alteration through inaction--I just never bothered to lengthen the skirt like I needed to (I am five nine, guys, patterns are too short!)

 The blue fabric is somewhere between these shades, but closer to the color on the right. It's so bright! I love bright!

I had a bunch of wild ideas as I went through, like making a set of detachable contrast collars and cuffs in different styles, or creating skirt interest using the scallop detail from the Meringue skirt (as an inset, not a hemline!), but in the end they all seemed waaay too much/busy/ambitious. Besides, I wanted to keep the look of the dress baaasically as designed. It wasn't my favorite pattern when I first got the book (I don't really wear A-liney skirts, and those sleeves! Gah!), so I really consider part of the sewalong challenge to have been making it my own without making it unrecognizable, if that makes sense. And I do like how it turned out quite a lot!

4 comments:

  1. What a brilliant job! I love the teal, black, and zebra combination - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an eye-catchingly cool frock. I've been digging leopard print pared with bold hues this spring, but you've now suddenly got me feeling zebra big time (hmmmm, I might have a zebra patterned scarf somewhere, but off the top of my head, I think that's it). Fantastic job with this dress - it's always a joy to see your awesome creations.

    Wishing you a fabulously lovely weekend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! This dress is gorgeous. I'm a sucker an animal print and you look fantastic. You've totally made the pattern your own :)

    ReplyDelete