28 January 2012

Buying Spree!

In an effort to escape from the many settling-in tasks facing me (more on those another time! I am ignoring them right now!), I went shopping this afternoon! The official reason was bookwormish: I am rereading Ulysses, like a cool kid, and needed to pick up a paperback copy so I didn't have to fight the urge to scrawl marginalia in my father's nice Modern Library edition. I now have this guy:


(I may have spent an hour in the bookstore, trying to convince myself that I could afford to buy the Colette Sewing Book...waiting 'til I have a job again.)

On the less literary hand, though, I also went on a bit of a buyathon apparelwise. It started out free! I had store credit at Victoria's Secret from returning a Christmas gift, and gracious is everything in that store terrifying! All of the underwear is either made out of strange microfibers or has things like "Your boyfriend says hi" screenprinted on the butt. So, I bought a garter belt. It's really flimsy and I need to sew another set of straps on, but it should keep my stockings up:


I am also prob'ly going to lose that bow. I hate bows.

So after that adventure, I headed over to the discount department store, as sometimes things are very cheap there and I could see a need for new church shoes on the horizon (I have exactly one pair of heels at the moment, and exactly one pair of black shoes, and they were not the same pair). These I found, and cheap:


BUT THEN! Next door on the sale shelf, and yet cheaper:


They are leopard print faux suede! With five and a half inch black patent heels! What on earth a girl who is five foot nine stocking feet and just moved back to the suburbs needs with such a thing is a valid question. But as K put it, "2 packs of smokes vs. years of playing Bettie Page"? No contest.

I also got a haircut the other day! It is shorter than I think it has ever been, and sort of stacked in the back and Louise Brooksy. I love it:




Well, maybe not that Louise Brooksy, the bangs are still too long. And on bad days I sort of feel like I have Moe Stooge hair. But so far I'm pretty pleased!

Up soon: the great bedroom renovation, a trip to the Garment District in Cambridge, and "Is There a Cobbler In This One-Horse Town?: A Comedy in Three Acts."

2 comments:

  1. Those leopard print heels may have made me gasp a little. I love anything leopard print. Your hair looks great and totally Louise Brooksy. If my hair would cooperate I would love a haircut like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you. After years of my hair not cooperating with anything whatsoever, I've finally concluded that the less there is, the better...I've been trying to find a good way to wear No Hair ever since. And the heels--I know. Oh goodness I know. I am heading to New York for a few days next week and may actually have cause to wear 'em...

      Delete