27 October 2011

"Who are you? What are you? Where did you come from! I think you're evil. EVIL!"

Halloween weekend approaches! As in it starts tomorrow, and my level of excitement is rising faster and faster! This is one of my favorite holidays, because of the dressing up of course (and also the carte blanche to eat kiddie candy). Costume assembly is proceeding apace--I finally made up my mind what to be:


I am dressing as a Birds victim! Whether or not I am Tippi Hedren herself depends on whether I feel like bleaching my head tonight:


I was planning at first to make a green dress and jacket, but then realised that a) that was way too much to do before the weekend and b) I had a really beautiful sheathy/wiggly dress that I'd been meaning to dye to cover up a massive yellowy iron-mark (it was pale blue, the dress! The scorch mark was absurdly visible), so one pack of Dylon Amazon Green, 30 minutes, and two Maggie Hamilton Wicked-Witch tinted hands later,


we have a winner!



Goodwill graciously provided a cropped jacket light enough to wear indoors at a crowded party, and I also sniped a couple yards of green wool in a slightly darker shade,


which'll become a purse and pillbox hat (using this tutorial)! I know, Tippi is hatless, but it seems like a nice touch if I'm not trying to be perfect-clone-girl (I'm not) and also a good place to perch a bird!

The birds are the one thing I haven't thoroughly figured out yet. I have a bunch of dark grey craft felt and some polyfill batting and was going to just cut out bird silhouettes and stuff 'em; M has pointed out that this will make them look cute, not creepy and ominous, and he's right. He has a theory about wire-hanger wingframes that sounds promising.

Any ideas, O internet? I need this to work!

In closing, my favorite Tippi Hedren picture:


Aaaaand Melanie-Daniels Barbie(!):

No comments:

Post a Comment