So right now my blog reading list (or whatever that thing is called on the Blogger home page of all the blogs you follow...feed? reader? I am so, so not good at this) is composed of a couple dozen vintage style and sewing/craft blogs and then Up the Fuckin' Punx, which a friend recommended as a good music source, and the way it occasionally pops up aggressively and interrupts all the lace and old photos with pictures of EXTREMELY ANGRY COVER ART has been amusing me.
I have a craft list to make at the moment though! It is getting difficult, between a sense of apathy about keeping my space clean that derives from my imminent move (beginning of July) and the beautiful weather outside, to make myself actually complete anything! I did a big push on Thursday to get everyone's graduation presents done, and now that the gluegun burns have subsided I think it's time to try and get back in gear. So here we go:
Nine Unfinished/Planned Projects; or, Please Start Accomplishing Shit Again!
1. Batik print sheath: I cut out and started sewing up Butterick 5316:
in this beautiful multicolored batik that I found at the Goodwill:
and resembles the fabric used in those crazy robe/dress ensembles worn by African women with the turbans that make them look like queens. I have no idea even what part of Africa those are from but one sees them in films and occasionally on black women in the city (there was someone in my metro car fully kitted out the other day and she looked so beautiful).
2. Purple shorts! These are from a mid-sixties Advance pattern--3555--which thinks one ought to wear them in a beach costume with a matching bra-top and a really goofy overdress:
I just want to wear them with blouses as my summer shorts. They're high-waisted with a zip in back, which is cool, and I found a nice lavender-purple light denim in the "mis-cuts" dollar bin at the notions store. Add a 25-cent Goodwill zipper, one of my button-bag buttons for the waist, and voila! (But I actually have to do all those things.)
3. K's Mets skirt. I have the baseball bedsheet and some nice blue lining material, I just need to dirndl it all together. This one I haven't even started, but it's been promised so it needs to occur.
4. All my dress editing! This includes the extra darts I need to add to my leopard dress, shortening the hem of my blue cocktail sheath, re-sewing the too-long straps on that Vivien of Holloway pink linen thing, and reshaping the neckline of my sundress with the sailor tattoos all over it. None of that should take long, so I should just sit down with the pile and get to it.
5. Giving the Colette Sorbetto top a whirl! I have such a need for summer tops right now that aren't old music festival tee shirts. I also really liked Casey's take on it and might give that a try.
6. Finishing up the blue version I knit of the Three Hour Sweater--I completed all the pieces, even picked a neck button, but I still haven't done the sewing up(!!!)
7. Two promised hats, now that we're on the knitting thing--one slouch hat for H and one crazy pillbox thing for C off a vintage pattern:
Luckily, since I'm so, so late with them that it's become summer in the meantime, I have until it's cold again to finish these? Though I should probably just get going, I don't have any other knitting on the go.
8. The rest of my mending! This I genuinely need to just get through.
9. The turquoise and red dresses I bought fabric for last month and then never got going on. Whoops?